Dr. Robert Yokel
BS pharmacy, Wisconsin; PhD pharmacology, Minnesota; Post-doc, Concordia University, Montreal; UK Alumni Association Great Teacher; NIH Research Career Development Awardee; Provost’s Distinguished Service Professor; ~ 150 publications; 25 book, encyclopedia or online reference database chapters; four patents.
- Dr. Yokel has had a long-term, continuing, interest in aluminum, including its adverse effects, pharmacokinetics, chelation, and occurrence in human sources. His current research focuses on the biological effects of nanomaterials, specifically the effects of nanoscale cerium dioxide that he is pursuing with a diverse team of collaborators. Continuing his career-long interest in drug/chemical interaction with the nervous system, he is interested in the ability of nanomaterials to enter the brain and their effects on the nervous system.
- Yokel Robert A. (2020). Nanoparticle brain delivery: a guide to verification methods. Nanomedicine, published online,
- Yokel Robert A, Hancock Matthew L, Cherian Benjamin, Brooks Alexandra J, Ensor Marsha L, Vekaria Hemendra J, Sullivan Patrick Giles, Grulke Eric A. (2019). Simulated biological fluid exposure changes nanoceria's surface properties but not its biological response. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, 144, 252-265.
- Yokel Robert A, Hancock Matthew L, Grulke Eric A, Unrine Jason M, Dozier Alan K, Graham Uschi M. (2019). Carboxylic acids accelerate acidic environment-mediated nanoceria dissolution. Nanotoxicology, 13(4), 455-475.
- Carlander Ulrika, Moto Tshepo Paulsen , Desalegn Anteneh Assefa , Yokel Robert A, Johanson Gunnar. (2018). Physiologically based pharmacokinetic modeling of nanoceria systemic distribution in rats suggests dose- and route-dependent biokinetics. International Journal of Nanomedicine , 13, 2631-2646.
- Laux Peter, Riebeling Christian, Booth Andy M, Brain Joseph D, Brunner Josephine, Cerrillo Cristina, Creutzenberg Otto, Estrela-Lopis Irina, Gebel Thomas, Johanson Gunnar, Jungnickel Harald, Kock Heiko, Tentschert Jutta, Tlili Ahmed, Schäffer Andreas, Yokel Robert A, Sips Adriënne JAM, Andreas Luch. (2017). Biokinetics of nanomaterials: the role of biopersistence. NanoImpact, 6, 69-80.
- Simkó Myrtill, Mattsson Mats-Olof , Yokel Robert A. (2017). Neurological system, Ch 12 in Adverse Effects of Engineered Nanomaterials, Exposure, Toxicology, and Impact on Human Health. Academic Press, Elsevier, 275-312.
- Sjögren Bendt, Iregren Anders, Montelius Johan, Yokel Robert A. (2014). Aluminum. Academic Press, II(4th), Chapter 26, pages 549-564.
- Willhite Calvin C, Karyakina Nataliya A, Yokel Robert A, Yenugadhati Nagarajkumar, Wisniewski Thomas M, Arnold Ian MF, Momoli Franco, Krewski Daniel. (2014). Systematic review of potential health risks posed by pharmaceutical, occupational and consumer exposures to metallic and nanoscale aluminum, aluminum oxides, aluminum hydroxide and its soluble salts. Critical Reviews in Toxicology, 44 Suppl 4, 1-80.
- Yokel Robert A. (2016). Physicochemical properties of engineered nanomaterials that influence their nervous system distribution and effects . Nanomedicine: NBM, 12(7), 2081-2093.
- Yokel Robert A , Hussain S, Garantziotis S, Demokritou P, Castranova V, Cassee F R. (2014). The Yin: An adverse health perspective of nanoceria: uptake, distribution, accumulation, and mechanisms of its toxicity. Environmental Science: Nano, 1(5), 406-428.
Phone: (859) 257-4855
Fax: (859) 257-7564
PhD Univ Of Minnesota
BS Univ Of Wisconsin-Madison
Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences