“Diversity is being invited to the party; inclusion is being asked to dance,” wrote Vernā Myers, Esq. in her book, "Moving Diversity Forward." Since 2016, we have worked hard to figure out how to open the dance floor and partner up — inclusion is necessary, albeit messy, work.
If academic institutions want to create successful, lifelong learners, we must deliberately include people with diverse backgrounds — in the many ways in which this is defined — throughout the curriculum. Only by building comfort with and joy of the diversity of our community will we enable our students to fully develop and their practice to give the most improved health care outcomes.
Life-saving patient care starts with an innovative and bold education for health care providers — but also an inclusive one. We are committed to rising to the challenge.
Below are a few resources for those looking for movies, music, shows, books, and podcast that have representation and show different perspectives. We also have additional anti-racism resources that you can also explore. These lists are by no means comprehensive, but we hope they'll allow individuals to begin to understand what inclusion might look like.
Inclusive Teaching Resources
Guide for Inclusive Teaching (Columbia University)
Inclusive Teaching Resources (Harvard University)
- Moving Diversity Forward: How to Go from Well-Meaning to Well-Doing by Vernā Myers
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Strategies for Facilitating Conversations on Race by Caprice D. Hollins, Ilsa M. Govan
- Glossary of Terms for Health Care Teams
- Safe Zone Training & Workshops
- OUTSOUTH LGBTQ+ Oral History Project
- Resources for Healthcare Facilities
- Love, Simon (Netflix)
- The Death of Marsha P. Johnson (Netflix)
- She's Not There: A Life in Two Genders by Jennifer Finney Boylan
- Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
- Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
- Juliet Takes a Breath by Gabby Rivera
- 4 ways to make your workplace equitable for trans people (NPR)
No Pity: People with Disabilities Forging a New Civil Rights Movement by Jospeh Shapiro
Crip Camp (Netflix)
The Accessible Stall (podcast)
I got 99 problems...palsy is just one (TEDTalk)
- From Combat to Kentucky via UK Libraries (need LinkBlue ID)
- Thank You for Your Service (Netflix)
- The moral obligation to know our veterans (TEDx Talk)
- VA Health Care for Transgender Men
- VA Health Care for Transgender Women
- VA Health Care for Gay and Bisexual Men
- VA Health Care for Lesbian and Bisexual Women
Historically Underrepresented Groups
- Who Gets To Be Afraid In America by Ibram X. Kendi
- Code Switch (podcast)
- Intersectionality Matters! (podcast)
- The Dave Chang Show (podcast)
- Gentefied (Netflix)
- The Farewell (Amazon Prime)
- Never Have I Ever (Netflix)
- I Am Not Your Negro ($.99 on Amazon)
- The Problem with Apu ($4.99 on Amazon or iTunes)
Mental Health Resources
Understanding Mental Health
- NAMI website
- Mental Health Test (Mental Health America)
- Guide to Living with Worry & Anxiety
- The Center Cannot Hold: My Journey Through Madness by Elyn Saks
- The Hilarious World of Depression (podcast)
- Terrible, Thanks for Asking (podcast)
- The Happiness Lab (podcast)
- Mental Illness Happy Hour (podcast)
Violence Intervention & Prevention
Resources & Reading
- Why domestic violence victims don't leave (TEDTalk)
- The Verbally Abusive Relationship by Patricia Evens
- Books & Movies that Portray Domestic Violence
- Naming the Violence: Speaking Out About Lesbian Battering by Kerry Lobel
- Why Does He Do That? by Lundy Bancroft
Diversify your Playlists
Songs that Code Switch guests say are getting them through our tumultuous moment.
Songs of empowerment and pride.
Discover the multifaceted creativity of the black queer community.
A curated playlist by famous Black individuals.
Celebrating our favorite Asian American/Pacific Islander artists.
Listen to tracks that don't hold back from artists that are unlike any other.
The revolutionaries, the allies, and the just plain fabulous: these flawless tracks are beyond perfect for Pride.
Black lives matter.
These hits were made to stay! Revive los éxitos latinos de los últimos messes aquí.
Latin songs that changed the game.
Buffy is an Indigenous Canadian-American singer-songwriter, musician, Oscar-winning composer, educator, and pacifist.
A collection of folk anthems and singer-songwriter gems from NAMA winners.
Get on top of Bollywood's newest and all-time best hist songs.
The immortal essentials of the Iranic diaspora.